Exposure control Midterm assignment

 Exposure control MidTerm assignment 

Student No: B00144295 

Student Name: Finn Lawler 

Title: Lone Soldier (shallow DOF) 

Description & Evaluation

 For my shallow DOF photo I needed to have something as my main focus and create a blur effect in the background. I wanted a prop that was small so that I can show the blurred background clearly with my prop in the centre. My prop was my dad’s award from the army. What I think I did well was that the soldiers colour blended into the background. What I think that I should of done differently was stabilize my camera because at the low shutter speed it was difficult to get the shot without the main focus blurring. Next time what I would do differently is place the soldier outside so that I can get natural lighting.

 45mm | f/3.2 | 1/8 | ISO 400 

Title: The Fortress of Wind (shutter speed)

 Description & Evaluation

 For my second image I needed an image that demonstrates a creative use of shutter speed. In this image I took a picture of the Portuguese flag on a fort that was on a mountain. It was extremely windy, and the flag was fluttering at a high speed. What I think worked well with this photo was that I managed to capture the flag in a position that you could recognise what flag it was. What I feel like I didn’t do well was that I should have tried to capture more of the fort that the flag was on instead of having the tree in the way. What I would do differently if I was to shoot it again was to only have the flag, fort, and the sky in the image.

 55mm | f/9 | 1/40 | ISO 100

 

Title: Stone and Iron (rule of thirds)

 Description and Evaluation

 For the rule of thirds, I wanted to have an image that had multiple points of interest. For this, I took a picture of the medieval tower of Belém with a World War 1 artillery Piece in front. What I think worked well was the comparison of a fortification made in the 1500s compared to a weapon designed to bombard enemy fortifications in the 1900s. What I think that I didn’t do well was that I blocked the end of the tower walls off with part of the tree behind the artillery. If I was to shoot this again, I would include more of the water in the background to add more points of interest.

18mm| f/3 | 1/80 | ISO 100

 Title: League of Combatants (Minimalist photography)

 Description & Evaluation

 For minimalist photography I wanted to have only 1 main focus in my image. In Lisbon I found a monument to the League of Combatants. The monument was a metal emblem on a quartz pillar. What I feel like I did well was pick something that was minimalist with detail and also have a nice backdrop. What I felt like I didn’t work well was that I didn’t make sure that the emblem was in the centre of the image. If I was to take this again I would use the grid as an assist to align the emblem perfectly. 

55mm | f/8 | 1/80 | ISO 100 

Title: Palace of Cultures (image of choice)

 Description and Evaluation

 For the final image it was a photo of my choice to use. For this I decided to use a photo I took near the entrance of the Pena Palace. In this photo I captured the many architecture styles used such as Neo-Gothic, Neo-Manueline, Neo-Islamic and Neo-Renaissance. The colours of the palace are also very vibrant and look well together. What I feel like I didn’t do well was that some of the treeline on the right blocks some of the palace. Next time I will make sure that not too much of the tree line blocks the palace but still leave some leaves on the outside for an effect.

 44 | f/8 | 1/500 | ISO 100

Comments